Monday, April 02, 2007

Where is My Spring Time?

Its April 2nd and spring has never felt farther away.  It has been cool and rainy and grey and dreary for a week now.  According to our weather forecast, the clouds and rain continue through Wednesday (at times mixed with snow) and when the sun finally comes on Thursday, the high is only supposed to be 34 degrees.  Brrrrr.  March came in like a lion and went out like a cold, wet, lamb.

The weekend was good.  Saturday morning found me wide awake and restless at 7:30.  Rather than fight it and get a few more hours of restless sleep, I just got up and took the laundry to the Laundromat.  While the clothes washed and then dried, I ran errands.  It was wet and rainy, but I took my camera with me.  Turns out, wet and rainy does not really inspire me photographically speaking as much as warm and sunny.  I also found out that Penzys Spices and Yum Bakery are just as much fun in the rain as in the sun. 

Once my laundry was washed, dried, and folded, it was time to meet my friend Karra for lunch.  We met at the 50s Café and it was yummy.  They make everything from scratch and its always yummy.  Karra and I sat and talked.  And talked.  And talked.  In fact, we got there at noon, had lunch, and talked until the dinner rush began.  We talked so long that our sever left and a new shift started.  Dont worry, I compensated our server well.  She had left an envelope for her tip and I tipped her 50%.  Not just because we took up real-estate for 5 hours, but because she was attentive and refilled our drinks the whole time (until she left).

Sunday, I actually went to church.  Bob tried to make it but was feeling yucky and stayed home to rest.  It was really hard.  I havent been to church in this building for over 9 or 10 months.  My friend Karra met me there and made it easier for me, but it was still really difficult.  Next Sunday we are planning on attending the church Bobs brother pastors and after that, were not sure.  Thankfully, I was warmly welcomed by many and didnt feel like I was visiting.  I was even asked to take pictures at the upcoming womens retreat. 

The rest of Sunday was spent cleaning my kitchen.  Bob was convinced that the ant poison we put down last fall was making him sick.  So I took everything out of the cupboards and off the counters and I cleaned and wiped and scrubbed everything into pristine cleanliness.  I even cleaned out our fridge and freezer.  I also spot cleaned our carpet in hopes of trying to make my head stop hurting every time I look at it.  It looks better now, but with 4 cats, someone is bound to yak up their dinner on it sooner or later.

I finished reading a really good book over the weekend.  Its called Through Painted Deserts by Don Miller.  Its a memoir of a road trip he took with a friend from Houston, TX to Oregon and how God met them in big and little ways throughout.  Its also about the simplicity of life.  I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it for anyone struggling to find their why.  I like Dons writing style and wonder if he talks to people in person the way he writes books.  I am waiting for his other books to become available at our local library.  Im hoping Blue Like Jazz is next but will be happy with whatever shows up.

My period is due today.  So far its been a no show but the PMS symptoms have been too prevalent to doubt its impending arrival.  However, I arrived at work today ill prepared.  No pads, no pain meds, no chocolate.  Someone at church asked me yesterday if I hated God because he wouldnt give me babies.  I thought about it and said that I did but I dont any more.  Ive worked through the hatred and anger and am trying to get to a point of acceptance.  Maybe Ill never get there, but I am learning that the important part of the journey is to keep moving forward. 

No comments: