Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My Little Chickadee

Nothing is going on with me right now other than the cold I’m still sporting.  My nose is raw and sore and an attractive shade of red.  I look like WC Field’s sassy younger sister.  I now also have an equally attractive hacking cough.  I sound like a barking seal.  Last night after work I went home, fed the cats, cleaned up a bit and went to bed.  I was in bed and mostly asleep before 7pm.  Still, I woke several times over the course of the evening with either difficulty breathing from my stuffy, stuffy nose or choking on a lovely phlegmy cough.  I am so sexy.

Thankfully though my current class features another team project, it is not the scope of the last class project.  I am so thankful because with this cold I am not as on top of my schoolwork game as I normally would be.  I will have to crank it up a notch next week.  However, this weekend is girl’s weekend away so it looks like I will be whiling away time over my laptop amidst the picturesque Brainerd Lakes area.  Last year when we took this trip it was opening weekend for deer hunting and there was a trio of hunters also staying at the same resort.  We awoke the next morning to the site of a large gutted doe hanging in the tree outside our window.  When I pointed the deer out to my friend, she kept saying, “Where?  Where is it?  I don’t see it.”  She was looking for a live deer and was not expecting the horrific gorefest of the gutted doe.  A quick Google search of deer hunting dates in MN shows that deer opener is again this coming weekend for the majority of our state.  Lovely.

So Thursday marks the first day of our new manager at work.  I’m not sure what to say about it all except that as a co-worker I liked this person quite a bit.  I didn’t work with her much but I did like her when I did.  I was talking to a co-worker and about the change and we agreed that we are cautiously optimistic about her coming on as manager but we fear she may be more in the back pocket of the higher-ups than our previous managers.  I think she may actually be younger than I am too.  Anyway, we are having lunch catered (as I mentioned in a previous post) and it looks like there are meetings scheduled throughout the day.  The new manager to be DID email me out of the blue the other day and said she was looking forward to meeting with me to talk about how the things I’ve been learning at school might be applied to my current job, so that seems positive, right?

As far as my own job hunt goes, nothing is happening.  I’m applying for jobs within Big Bank Co but I keep getting the automated emails back saying, “Thanks but no.  We’re going another way.”  I’ve applied for a couple of radio jobs but gotten word back that I will not be asked in for an interview.  I DID hear from a professor at my college and he said it might be beneficial for me to take some radio courses at school next semester if I think that’s something I’d like to do.  In the meantime, I’ve also applied for a couple of positions my college has open and am hoping to at least get an interview out of them.  All this applying and no interviewing is somewhat disheartening but at least I know it’s not just me.  The chick that sits in the cube next to me has also had similar luck with her job applying AND another co-worker of ours has shared much the same story in her job hunting.  Still, we soldier on.

So, we are going on an Alaskan Cruise in September.  Bob is super excited and mentions it at least once every day. He’s also become miserly in administering our finances in order to make sure we have enough fun money to take with us. We have most of the cost of the trip saved up but need to have money for incidentals and fun stuff on the trip.  I am glad he is good this way because I am not.  Yesterday he said, “You could be pregnant on this trip.”  I said, “If our insemination in November or December is successful, we could actually have a baby.”  So now we are thinking of putting off our next insemination try until January so as to avoid the whole taking a newborn on vacation thing.  Although if we are successful in January, I will be 8-9 months pregnant…so maybe we should put it off until February or March.  Sheesh.  We gave up our Seattle vacation this year to pursue a baby.  Maybe we will be giving up a baby to pursue our vacation?  Nah.

No comments: