Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Leaving Kissimmee

Today I awoke in the best possible way. Bob woke me up and wanted some loving. Morning delight is the best. After which, we packed up and checked out of the villa in Kissimmee. On the way out of town, we stopped by an orange/grapefruit stand only to find out that it would be better to buy the stuff the day we actually leave town, so we will have to stop on our way to the airport.

It only took us an hour to get to Daytona. I thought it would take longer. It was a beautiful day, with sunny skies, temps near 80. We got to Daytona around 11:30 and could not check in to our new hotel until noon. So we drove down to the beach and drove on the beach for a bit. The beach was busy with sunbathers, beach combers, and autos driving down the stretch of sand. It was heavenly. We sat in the sun for a half an hour until we could check in.

At noon, we went to the hotel and checked in. We have an ocean front/view room with a Jacuzzi. It’s a very nice dive-y place. We have a kitchenette and a king sized bed. We can hear the waves from our room, though it’s kind of humid and damp if we leave it open too long. The room also has tile floors that sweat and make for slippery and somewhat treacherous walking for Bob, but I supposed it’s easier to clean sand and water from tile versus carpet.

We have two full days of relaxation ahead of us. I have a book I want to read while I sun myself on the beach or at the pool and Bob is fascinated with sand crabs and the stuff that the surf leaves behind. This is the vacation portion of our trip. The first part was the trip/sightseeing part. This is the part I looked forward to most.

Tonight we ate dinner at Friendly’s. I haven’t eaten there since I moved back to the Midwest from Maryland in 1993. It was nice, but they were super busy and our waiter was a little overworked. He served me the wrong entrĂ©e, but I was hungry and it looked OK, so I told him I would just stick with what he served me. We ended with a yummy sundae.

We got back to the hotel and watched the surf in the starlight. It’s kind of scary to me. I don’t think I could walk the beach at night, but it certainly is nice to sit by the pool and listen to the surf in the darkness. If you look out over the ocean, you can just barely make out the white of the surf. There are stars in the sky, but not visible much. It’s kind of hazy and the moon is at half light. It’s still quite beautiful. I am looking forward to waking up to the sun rising over the ocean in the morning. Posted by Picasa

No comments: