Monday, December 03, 2007

Call 1-800-Get-Clue

If I said “What is your 800 number?” or “Call our 800 number”, would you automatically expect the number to start with 8-0-0 or would you know that I am speaking of a toll free number that might start with 8-0-0. 8-6-6, or 8-7-7?  I sent out an email to my co-workers today asking them to give our bankers the correct fax number and I called it our “800 number” even though it is actually an 8-6-6 number.  One of my co-workers then emailed me back and said, “I thought our fax number was an 8-6-6 number, not an 8-0-0 number.  I had to email everyone back and explain that “800” can be generally or loosely interpreted as the same thing as saying “toll free”.  Sheesh, if it’s not one thing, it’s another around this place.

Speaking of work, last week I actually had an offer for an interview within another department.  For a position that had more responsibility, more money, and a better title.  I was so excited.  Until 3 hours later when I got the email telling me that the higher ups in that department had re-evaluated things and decided not to fill that position.  Crap.  This was my first interview offer in months and then it’s yanked away.  Curses.

Yes, I ended up putting up our tree and Christmas decorations last night.  I originally went to our storage room just to get our door wreath, more lights, and put the fall/Halloween stuff away.  Once there I thought, “as long as I’m here, I might as well grab the tree too.”  Once I grabbed the tree, it didn’t make sense to leave the decorations behind so I just pulled it all out and started the decorating process.  So far, the cats have left everything alone but Miss Zoe is too curious for her own good and gets close enough to the tree to bump into one of many bells I’ve hung around the bottom of the tree.  After all was said and done I think it looks quite nice.  In the spirit of the holiday, 3 of our 4 cats even settled in together on the loveseat for a nap.  There is a photo in yesterday’s photo entry.  The surprising thing was Miss Maisey, our unfriendly cat was one of the three!  I even managed to get a photo of all 4 of them in the same frame without Photoshop!

One of Bob’s aunts died last night.  We weren’t close to her but she was his dad’s sister.  Of the 6 siblings in that family, 3 have died and they have all died near the holidays.  Bob’s dad died last Christmas Eve.  Bob’s uncle died around Christmas in 2004 or 2005.  It’s a sad time of year for this family.  However, we do have a wedding of one of the cousins coming up so we look ahead to better times together.

My parents are in Jamaica right now.  They left in the midst of the swirly snowstorm that hit us this weekend.  More snow is expected tomorrow and over the weekend.  I could use a little white sand and sun right now myself.  Lucky parents.

No comments: