Monday, November 20, 2006

Deer in my headlights

It was dusk (about 4:30 around these parts nowadays) as I was driving home from doing our laundry last night.  I drove down our residential street and noticed that one of our neighbors up the road had added 2 life size lawn deer to their front yard.  “Hmmm,” I thought as I drove closer, “lawn decorations are just not my cup of tea. If people wanted deer in their front lawn, they should live in the middle of nowhere and let them eat their grass and drink from their bird baths.”  Just as this thought flashed through my brain, one of the lawn deer raised its head and looked at me as I drove by.  Turns out you don’t have to live in the middle of nowhere to get deer eating from the buffet that is your lawn.  Turns out you can live a mile from a major interstate, a couple of miles from a large, multi store mall, and in the middle of a major urban area.  Cool. “I hope these deer are smart enough to know how to cross the street without getting hit,” I thought as I passed the recently deceased body of a fluffy little skunk. 

2 comments:

lap said...

There were deer in my parents' yard in Minnetonka all the time! They loved to eat the flowers from the hosta especially.

Kathy said...

We get deer over here quite alot. And hawks that leave half-rabbits laying around. The other day I saw a hawk flying off with a huge something in it's claws. It's a regular Wild Kingdom over here!