Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Lunar Eclipse

I don’t know why I am so excited about tomorrow’s lunar eclipse.  I can’t even take a good photo of the moon.  I’ve tried.  Even with my newer camera and new lens I don’t get anything but a big white blob/blur.  Erg.  However, we are going to a local park preserve for their lunar eclipse program and viewing.  The first part of the evening begins at 7 with a program and discussion of the “Raccoon Moon”.  I didn’t know what a raccoon moon was until I Googled it and found that each month’s full moon has been named by different cultures.  The Dakotah Sioux have named February’s full moon the Raccoon Moon.  After the program, we will walk to the viewing area where they will have telescopes and sky guides available.  I asked about accessibility when I called for information and the lady said they had all-terrain wheelchairs available as well!  Score!  Bob is going to come with me but he is definitely not as excited about this as I am.  Usually, though, he will come to something just because I want him to and he ends up having a blast.  I hope this is the case with the eclipse otherwise I’m exposing him to the cold and snow for no good reason.  If you live in the Metro area and want to join us, email me and I will give you the particulars.  If you live somewhere else and want to find out what’s going on in your neck of the woods in regards to the eclipse, Google, 2-20-08 Lunar Eclipse, your area.  You should get some hits with viewings going on nearby.  Or you can just stand in your back yard and watch it.  We live in an area with lots of light pollution though I wanted to avoid that as much as possible.  Also, we don’t have a telescope which would be fun to use during the eclipse, hence the tromping out into the cold, cold woods at the nature preserve.

Things at work were sticky today.  We did something yesterday we should have waited until today to do.  It wasn’t a nightmare, but it kind of messed things up a bit for a gal who just got back from vacation.  However, as she called around to find out how to fix the small mess, she made comments like, “I can never go on vacation because everything falls apart when I’m gone,”  “I am the only one holding this place together,” and “What’s going to happen when I retire in 10 months?”  Also, someone on the other end of her phone conversation must have asked who entered the information that was supposed to be saved until today, she said, “Amy” in a tone of voice that can only be described as disdainful.  My name, a two syllable word, came out of her mouth sounding for all the world like, “That screw-up,” “Figures,” “Who else would it be?  Isn’t she the one that always messes things up?”  It’s hard to get that all out of two syllables, but my co-worker managed it.  Just hearing my name in that tone of voice made my face flush to the roots of my hair and I got all nervous and apologetic. Things are all worked out and back to normal but those first few hours this morning were horrible.  I hate feeling like the weak link on the chain.

Thank you all for your kind comments and emails regarding the photos I took this weekend.  My new lens is a 70/300 zoom with a macro setting.  I love it

1 comment:

michiganme said...

Wow, that sounds like the words of someone who's worked at the same job a very long time and just can't tolerate imperfection from others. Hearing that would make me feel terrible too. I hope I never get to that point in life where being right is more important than the person sitting next to me.

I enjoy your blog...