Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sticker Shock

I went to the eye doctor yesterday.  It’s been 2 years…actually, maybe 3!  Yikes!  Anyway, my eyesight has gotten worse both in regards to seeing far and seeing near so my RX for my progressives has had to be amped up a bit.  Not that I mind because I would like to be able to see what I’m looking at without having to do the random head rotation and eye squint it requires right now.

My favorite part of going to the eye doctor is picking out my new glasses.  However, the cost of progressives has put a huge damper on that little bit of fun.  My work provides vision insurance which is a godsend.  I used to be able to get my glasses and lens PLUS a second pair of sun glasses for under $100 after insurance was applied.  Yesterday’s bill for 1 pair of glasses (not even designer frames) was $210 after insurance.  Gulp.  Granted, if I didn’t have insurance, I’d have to pony the whole $550 so I’m thankful for insurance covering the majority of the costs, but still, talk about sticker shock.  I couldn’t order them yet because we don’t have the extra cash on hand right now.

Work is not fun right now.  I can’t go into it much here but imagine you’ve been doing the same job, more or less, for 5 years and it’s been going just fine.  Then imagine that new people are hired above you and to manage you, neither of which have any experience in doing what you do nor do they really know what your job entails.  Lets just say that your job is to count and distribute widgets.  And this time of year is crazy busy in the widget industry.  Now lets say your boss and another higher up decide that not only should you count the widgets but you should keep track of the widgets by size, weight, color, and shape.  AND you should create a checklist to help you keep track.  And you should create another checklist to keep track of the first checklist.  AND you should communicate all of this with your team daily. And you should create another checklist to keep track of the team members you are communicating with and what was told to them.  That is what my job has been like recently.  These days I can often be found fantasizing about winning the lottery and leaving this job for good.

Last night I woke up around 1:30.  I had to pee but I was also super thirsty.  After relieving my bladder, I left my bedroom to get some water from our cold filter in the kitchen.  I must have scared one of my cats because she flung herself into my ankle and then sprinted under the couch.  Except when she sprinted from my leg, her back paw caught my big toe and now there are 4 lovely deep red scratches across the top of it.  It bled quite nicely and is now scabbed over.  I put some Neosporin on it so it won’t get infected but it still hurts like a mother.

No comments: