Sunday, July 02, 2006

Cat Billboard

Cat Billboard
Originally uploaded by SunFlowery.
This billboard is by the building where I work and I've been meaning to take a photo of it for months. If you can't tell, it's a giant photo of a fishing lure with large fiberglass cats above and below. If you click my Flickr badge, there is a close up photo of some of the cats. It's a cute billboard.

I am not sure where to begin catching y'all up.

We bought the kittens some Soft Paws claw covers. They are too little for declawing right now but NOT too little to scratch up our carpet, furniture, legs, and bedding. The claw covers have been working out really well except they HATE having them applied and I have to replace one or two a day because I'm still learning how to apply them and they are crazy playful. It looks like we have painted their nails blue, but we just capped them.

This weekend I have been busy running errands and picking up stuff. I received a tuition reimbursement check so I got some much needed...stuff.

Friday I went out at lunch to pick up a new cord for my computer. The kittens chewed up my old one and it wasn't charging anymore. Did you know a new computer cord and converter costs $100? Now you do. After work I ran to Target. I needed to get some greeting cards, a couple of gift cards, and a toaster. The toaster we received as a wedding present died last week and they had the exact same one at Target for under twenty bucks.

I had to get greeting and gift cards because this week has been monumental in life experiences for our friends. My friend SuAnn gave birth to their first baby, a daughter on Tuesday. That same day, Bob's good friend Bill died. On Friday we found out that the health services coordinator at the MDA office gave birth to their first child, a son. The only thing is, he came 11 weeks early and he came while they were in Denver for a wedding. He had to have heart surgery and they might be there for 8-11 weeks while he gets bigger and stronger. Thankfully they are staying at the Ronald McDonald house in Denver so housing is taken care of. But how frustrating must it be to have planned to be away for a weekend wedding and end up having to stay/live there for 8-11 weeks? Crazy.

We got a short thunderstorm early Saturday morning and that was kind of fun. I like sleeping through storms. After that rumbled through, we slept in and that was heavenly. Bob slept more while I ran to Petco to pick up a couple of litter boxes. When I got there I noticed that there were a lot of dogs. Turns out there was a doggie adoption going on. There were some sweet doggies looking for homes. I hope they all find one. After Petco I went to Backmans to find some tomato cages. After that, I went home.

Bob worked at the gas station that afternoon and I set up the new litter boxes and tomato cages. I really enjoy our patio garden. My petunias are getting really leggy. I wish I knew how to keep them low and spread out and not so leggy. My rosy pansies are not doing as well. Only 2 out of 6 have survived so far. I have 6 baby tomatos so far and our morning glory vines have really grown, though they have not yet flowered.

While Bob was working, I decided to take in a matinee. I went to see The Devil Wears Prada. I really liked it. I read the book when it first came out and I think they did a great job of making the movie stand on its own while still being true to the main themes of the book. After the movie I spent the evening on the patio. I read a book and I paid our bills. It felt good to get all our bills paid and the night was beautiful so it was nice to be able to sit outside and do it.

Today Bob and I went to church. It was good. It was hard. There were quite a few friends missing today. I was hoping to see our bestest church friends...the couple we hope to have over on Tuesday...but they were not there. The husband emailed Bob to say they would like to spend the 4th at our place but we have nothing formally planned.

After church we came home and while Bob napped, I made an Italian hotdish for lunch. I just fried up some ground beef, onions, and garlic and added that to some tomato sauce, cooked wagon wheel noodles, and ricotta cheese. I topped that with provalone slices and baked it until it was brown and bubbly on top. It was tasty if I do say so.

Bob went to work at the gas station and I went to Wal-Mart to get tooth paste and facial wash. While there I thought I would pick up a replacement hose for our gas grill. We got this grill out of the trash 3 years ago when we first moved in. We replaced the grates, the lava rocks, and the tank. I tried to use it this spring but while it lit, it didn't stay lit. We figured the hose was shot so I went to get a new one. The replacement hoses were $17.00. A brand new table top gas grill was $20.00. I got the new grill. When I got home, I put it together, hooked it up, pressed the ignitor button, and we had a working grill. I put our old, used grill back in the trash area. It had been used as a charcoal grill before we took it and while it worked, it never quite worked as well as it was supposed to. Our new little grill works like a charm and takes up way less space. It will be easy to put away this winter and we won't have to worry about critters making their winter home in it. (We think this is why our hose didn't work...critters chewing on it and making their winter home in the grill.)

So all in all it was a productive, restful, fun weekend. I have to work tomorrow, but it will be a short day. I have Tuesday off and am looking forward to that. I have a phone interview tomorrow for an administrative position within Big Bank Co. Not sure how that will work out, but I am looking for something that is 30 hours a week and this position is.

Have a happy Independence Day!

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Hey Amy -

Regarding your leggy Petunias - you can trim them back. I've had a problem with leggy Petunias before, and I cut them back drastically, and they recovered very well. Just be sure you hit 'em with some fertilizer in the day or so after you cut them back, and keep 'em well watered and they should be fine.