Saturday, August 12, 2006

My Saturday

My Favorite Flowers
Originally uploaded by SunFlowery.
Today I woke up around 9am and didn't have a plan for the day. As I washed up and got dressed, I decided to suck it up and FINALLY motor over to St. Paul to check out their farmer's market. Boy am I glad I did. It was awesome! Click my Flickr badge to see all the photos I took. It is the peak of the growing season and there was definitely a bounty of good things to be had. I could have gone crazy purchasing fresh veggies and flowers but only bought a half dozen ears of sweet corn, a small bouquet of sunflowers (from the vendor displayed in the photo abover), and another small bouquet of blue and purple flowers. I was tempted to buy some sweet red peppers but I have a bunch in my freezer just waiting for me to implement them into some tasty dish. I also wanted to buy some yummy heirloom tomatoes but couldn't come up with anything to do with them so left them for the next burst of cullinary inspiration. I had a blast taking photos of all the things that caught my eye. Click on the badge and leave me a comment on your favorites.

I was home by noon and able to spend some time with Bob before he had to go to work at the gas station. He is the best. He has been working very hard on his eBay business as well. He works on that probably 6 or 7 hours a day. He's very hard working and feels good bringing some income into our budget.

Once he left for work, I grabbed our dirty laundry and headed for my favorite local laundromat. When Bob does our laundry, he likes to use the machines in our apartment building. When I do laundry, I like to take it all to the laundromat. The laundromat I use is clean and pleasant. Half of the building is the laundromat and half is a dry cleaners. I think it's the dry cleaner staff that keeps the laundromat from becoming a ghetto hangout. Anyway, I like the laundromat because you can do all your loads at once. Today I had 7 loads and I got it all washed and dried and folded in about 2 hours. Versus the all day event it would have been had I stayed home and used the apartment facilities. I was also able to read my library book AND have a nice lunch at the local Thai place. Yum.

Once I got home, I put everything away and made Bob some dinner. I brought him his dinner at the gas station and was properly rewarded with kisses and a furtive grope. I left him to his work and went home to cook up some of the yummy sweet corn I picked up at the market. Then it was time to pay some bills (I use our bank's online bill pay feature), do some filing, and then here to document the day.

I was awoken this morning by a weird dream. In the dream, Bob and I were apparently picking up a boy we were going to foster/adopt. We were picking him up from his mom's house. She had four boys from four different fathers and was living on welfare. Even though she was living on welfare, in her garage was a black Hummer and a red Harley. We were picking up her 2nd youngest son to come live with us. He was 5 years old and his name was Eddie. He didn't want to come live with us so he was acting out. He took all the clothes and toys we were to bring with us and dumped them in the lake behind his house. We fished them out and were about to get him in the van to go with us when he bit me on the cheek. His mom laughed and laughed. I was trying to deal with her lack of concern when he bit me again on my arm. This time he hung on and drew blood. His mom just laughed. We decided we couldn't take him based on his biting and her lack of concern or discipline. We were heartbroken and his Mom sobered up quickly and begged us to take him or she would get in trouble. That's when I woke up. Told you it was weird.

So, on to other topics. I have 2 phone interviews on Monday. One at 12:30 and one at 3:30. I also have counseling at 2. And of course, school at 6. It's a busy day. Of the 4 contacts I received from my applications, 2 resulted in the aforementioned phone interviews. 2 resulted in the hiring manager saying they could not accommodate my school schedule. Plus, I have 2 people who are going to "get back to me" when they get through all the applications and decide who to call back. So, good. I feel like I am accomplishing something. My biggest fear, though, is that I will jump from the bad workplace frying pan into another bad work situation fire. I hope I can be wise and make a decision based on what is best for me/us and not just jump at the first offer because I am desprate to move on.

Oh! How could I forget this? Yesterday I had lunch with the health director from the Muscular Dystrophy Association. I had emailed them asking them if they had any projects I could do for them. It turns out that Jodie, the gal I lunched with, needed help with the newsletter. We lunched and she told me what's what, gave me examples and a CD of photos and basically gave it all to me. I thought I would be helping, but it turns out, I AM GOING TO BE DOING IT! The MDA newsletter for the state of MN is entirely in my hands! How cool is that? Not only do I love the MDA and the people that work there, I have a cool volunteer job and a good resume builder. Sweet! Now I hope I can do it justice.


Cosmicrayola said...

I am sure you will do a great job with it!

Yvonne said...

I second Cosmic's comments. It will be better than ever before!