Thursday, August 02, 2007

We Are Fine

We are fine.  Thank you to those of you who worried about us and have been checking in.  Neither Bob nor I travel the bridge that collapsed.  We’ve been over it for sure but it’s been a long time.  At the time that the bridge collapsed, we were at Lake Harriet.  I was going crazy being cooped up in the apartment and asked Bob if we could please go for a walk around the lake.  He agreed.  While we were there, we heard lots of sirens and wondered aloud of the cause/source.  It wasn’t until we stopped at Walgreen’s for an extension cord that we heard what had happened.  We went home and turned on the TV to watch the footage.  I checked my email and my mom had already sent me a message.  We are fine and as far as we know, those we know and love are fine as well.  I am so thankful that the busload of children were spared and saved.  We are praying for those not as lucky.

I really struggle with catastrophic events and my place.  My heart grieves and yet there are so many responsibilities I need to concentrate on.  Tonight is my final exam/presentation for a class, I have to go to work, Bob received some heavy news I can’t talk about right now, and other such “life goes on” kinds of things.  The same thing happened to me during 9/11.  I watched the tragedy and horror on TV and was struck by shock and yet I had a wedding occurring in roughly 2 weeks and was worried about that.  I usually respond to the emotional aspects of these tragedies weeks and months later when it’s no longer on the front page and not so much appropriate.  I don’t know how to change that about me so I will just go along as I can.

Thanks again for checking in. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that all is "cool" on your end! Thought about giving you a jinlge - but they were telling people not to call - to keep the lines open for essential need(s). Also, didn't know if you'd be @ class..... Anyway - good to know you're all safe and sound! :-) Later ~

Unknown said...

It's so interesting how the Internet has opened up the world. I immediately thought, gosh, I hope Amy and Bob and Neil Gaiman are all ok, when it used to be I didn't know anyone in Minneapolis. I still don't "know" any of you, but I worried all the same. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Yvonne said...

Thank goodness you and yours have been spared a direct link to this tragedy. I am thankful your procedure went well. I am also thinking of Bob and his heavy news. Many lift you up through prayer, I hope you can feel it.