Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Broken Hearts

Bob's heart is breaking tonight. Because of his fall, Hearing and Service Dogs of MN have taken Honor. Bob is meeting with Al, the president and Kim, the trainer tomorrow at one. Mona, the trainer that came and took Honor, seems to think it's just temporary. You see, HSDM had to take 2 dogs away earlier in the year because of abuse and they have received bad press about it. So now they are hard nose and by the book and are afraid Bob could come after them and sue them because the dogs actions caused him physical harm.

Bob called me at work at 4:30 sobbing. I could barely understand him. When I finally understood what he was saying, I finished up and headed for home right away. When I got home he was on the floor playing with and hugging Honor. I tried to be positive but he was convinced that they will take Honor and never give her back to him.

Mona showed up a little while later. It was good sign that she came alone and without a hand truck. She came in and talked to Bob. She said she didn't know what this all meant, only that they are being extra cautious because of past events. She said she was just taking Honor for the night and would leave all her stuff here. She said she hoped Bob would bring Honor home tomorrow after the meeting and that they could meet for a training session on Friday.

When she clipped honor to the leash, Bob started to cry. His shoulders shook. Once they got out the door, his sobs sounded like the keening of a wild dog. He was calling out for his friend.

Now he talks about how it's easier not to love. It's easier not to open your heart and risk loss than to open it and have it torn apart. It breaks my heart to hear him talk like this. He says if they don't give Honor back, he is never going to get another dog again.

I certainly hope the meeting tomorrow goes well and that Honor comes home with Bob. The cats sure are happy though.

On to other things. I made an appointment with a therapist. Next Thursday at noon I am meeting with a woman whose office JUST happens to be across the highway from from where I work. How's that for serendipity? I am always nervous when I meet new therapists. I always want them to like me and don't always start out with total honesty. Stupid, huh? I'm not paying them to be my friend but I still always want to come across as favorable. In the course of therapy, it all comes out in the wash, but I always try to make a good first impression. So, we'll see what happens. She is going to send me some preliminary forms and info. We are going to meet a few times to see if what she has to offer as a therapist is what I need. Sounds good to me. Wish Bob would find something similar to help him. I pray they don't take his dog away. Join me, won't you?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy - I'm so sorry to hear about Honor having to go. Poor Bob! Hopefully Honor will come back tomorrow. That's just not right!

Anonymous said...

I don't understand how the "dog people" found out about the accident and why they took the dog after that. I'm so sorry about "all" of it...the accident and then what happened today.
As for the therapist, I would say they are trained to hone in on whether you are being fully truthful or not and trying to "make" them like you. So 'fess up in the beginning and don't play the games. It will only come out later anyway.

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, I am so sorry to hear about Bob and the dog! I definately will be praying for a positive outcome!
At the same time, I'm so glad you made the appointment with a therapist and it must have been a "God thing" that she is so close to your work-place. I will pray that it will be helpful for you to be doing that! I agree with anonymous though that you need to be forth-right from the beginning as it can only be helpful for your healing. Take care and remember "Who is in control"!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Honor will be back soon. They will surely take into consideration the fact that Bob is still relatively new at handling the doggie. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!! Keep us posted!

Heather said...

I'm SOO sorry to hear that they have taken her away!! I am crossing my fingers for you that they return her soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Honor having to be removed, I'm anxiously waiting to hear that she is back home........

Lut C. said...

I'm sorry to hear Honor was taken away. I find it incredible they can even do this. Isn't she your dog now?