Friday, June 22, 2007

Getting Ready for SIS

I had my progesterone test this morning and got my results at lunchtime; 1.1.  So yeah, so not pregnant.  As if the period arriving yesterday was not enough of a clue.  I made an appointment for a SIS for Monday morning.  Here is a good explanation of that test:

      “Because the inside walls of the uterus normally are pressed against each other, ultrasound often cannot accurately determine if irregularities of the inner uterine wall are present. With the Saline Infused Sonography (SIS) procedure, warmed sterile saline is slowly passed into the uterine cavity using a small soft plastic tube. The infused saline separates the walls of the uterus and improves the chances that abnormalities within the uterine cavity are detected.  The test is able to diagnose such abnormalities as uterine polyps, fibroids, intra-uterine adhesions and general malformations of uterine shape and size. The study can also help to indirectly diagnose blocked fallopian tubes. If there is minimal fluid in the pelvis before the SIS procedure, and following the procedure, fluid has collected in the abdominal/pelvic cavity, the fluid must have had to pass from the uterus through at least one open Fallopian tube to fill the abdominal/pelvic cavity. The test is generally unable to diagnose such problems as endometriosis and hormone abnormalities.  It is possible that the test will indicate an abnormality when one is not actually present (described as an artifact or a false-positive finding) but some believe this will occur in less than 5% (1 in 20) of the patients.”

On Monday I will have to schedule ANOTHER appointment. This time a cycle consult with my RE to go over what we might want to change for the next cycle.  I also want to talk with her as to why my period suddenly showed up 5 days early.  That is mighty unusual for me and I wonder if it’s common for her patients or if it’s a weird thing going on with me.

Class last night just seemed to go on and on and on.  I got home and felt exhausted and yet I didn’t fall asleep until almost 12:30.  I woke up at the crack of dawn to the loudly chirping birdies outside our window.  I am definitely operating at half staff today.  The good news is that I will be partaking of a love class of Riesling on my beloved patio garden around dusk.

Tomorrow is the big Muscular Dystrophy Stride and Ride fundraiser.  We have to be there by 8am to help set up and get things ready.  We didn’t nearly reach our goal this year and we don’t have much in the way of a team walking with us.  However, it is a good cause that we helped planned and we hope to be part of it for years to come.

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

Good luck with the walk today!