Friday, June 08, 2007

Insemination Update

First thing first.  I was back at my RE’s (Reproductive Endocrinologist) office this morning at 7:30.  I had an empty bladder, a signed HIPPA form from Bob, and my co-pay.  A new nurse practitioner introduced herself to me and got right down to business. Using the vaginal wand thing, she measured the follicle (the sac that carries the egg until it’s released in ovulation) in my left ovary and it measured 20 mm, which is good and it is what they were looking for.  While she was searching, she noticed the spot on my uterus and asked if the previous nurse practitioner had mentioned a possible polyp. I answered in the affirmative.  She said if I don’t get pregnant, they will do something called a SIS test and then a D & C if the SIS comes back positive.

I used this time to ask her questions.  I found out that the follicle is a sac that surrounds the egg until it is released.  I also found out that older women MAY have a follicle without an egg, but since my hormone levels/numbers all came back in the normal range, that isn’t likely to happen yet, though it could. 

Once we were done, she gave me an RX for HCG (which stands for Human Chorion Gonadotropin and is a hormone used to stimulate ovulation.  It also mirrors the pregnancy hormone so if I were to take a pregnancy test, it would come back positive.).  I took the RX to the pharmacy two floors down but had to wait for them to open and then had to wait in line for it to be filled.  I was not very patient and my nervous, bouncing leg was going a mile a minute. However, I was back in the RE’s office 25 minutes later getting the injection in my hip to stimulate ovulation and tomorrow between 10 and 10:30am I am to undergo insemination (if Bob’s sample looks good, that is).  I am having a hard time concentrating today as a result of all the above.  I need to go buy some Benefiber with folic acid.

Last night was my first night back in class after a little over a year away.  It was good to be back, though to start, I was really nervous.  The professor remembered me from last year…which I am choosing to take as a good sign.  I am in a class of 7 other women and 1 man.  The man wasn’t there last night but all of the other women were quite nice.  I feel confident that I can do this even though I made the rookie mistake of not reading through the ENTIRE assignment sheet before class.  I had neglected to get some of the homework completed.  Thankfully, I still had last year’s saved on my computer so I just turned that in since it didn’t get used last year. I am on my own for the next 3 weeks though.  I know I can do this and get through it and will be done in November.  Wow.  November sounds a long way away but I know it will be here before I know it.

No comments: