Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Talking It Out.

So Josiah seems to be out as a name we would name a boy baby.  Bob likes it, “But not for our kid”.  Then he mentioned Nathanial which I do like.  However, it seemed to sadden Bob that people would eventually call him Nate.  I mentioned that often times it’s the kid’s choice as to what he/she is called.  Especially if there are more than one of that name in his/her classroom.  I did say that we can call a child the name we choose and then just be flexible as they grow up and give them the freedom to change it if they want to.  We both like long names that can be shortened but don’t really tend to like the shortened version, so I think we are going to have to learn to live with the nickname thing.

All of that to say, I don’t think I am pregnant.  I wish I were…oh how I wish.  This morning’s basal temp was lower than yesterday morning and yesterday morning’s basal temp was lower than the morning before.  If I were pregnant, the basal morning temp would just keep going up instead of down.  I hope to know more on Friday.  I keep telling myself that it could be a very good thing because if there is a polyp in my uterus, as has been pointed out, then this may explain why I’m not getting pregnant and we can do something about it.  I do have a good feeling about the coming months and I really do feel as though it will happen by summer’s end.

Speaking of feelings and getting pregnant, there was much discussion yesterday on some mothers of multiples message boards (I think I mentioned it in yesterday’s post) about how having more than one or two babies at a time is really considered poor planning/doctoring by many in the fertility treatment community.  However, I can see where a couple being told that the cycle should be cancelled due to a high production of follicles might choose to ignore that advice because they’ve tried everything and just want to chance it.  I know women who have produced 4 follicles and chanced it and didn’t get pregnant at all.  Then there are these women who produce 10 and 6 get fertilized and yowza!   There just is no way to know or predict what will happen and you get to a point where you are willing to try anything just to have one baby.  I understand it.  I totally do.  Still, I know for us, we would cancel that cycle.  To look at our resources, physically, financially, emotionally, etc and just go ahead with an insemination when there are 3 or more follicles would be the height of irresponsible.  We could not afford the care and raising of multiples without assistance and there is no guaranteeing assistance will be forthcoming.  Plus, how can we ask others to contribute to something we were mostly in control of knowing we don’t have the resources available to fully function?  Even if we COULD afford feeding, diapering, clothing, and raising the kids for the first few years, there is nothing guaranteeing we could afford sports and extra curricular activities, camp, driving, and college for a bunch of kiddos.  I know there are no guarantees in life and part of the fun is to “see what happens” but I am more of a planner and if I see that we can’t afford it now, I am making the grand assumption that we won’t be able to afford it later.  Especially when we KNOW that we will be a one income earning family.  There is just so much to take into consideration when you need medical intervention in order to have a baby.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I work with a man named Nathaniel, and he has let it be known he prefers to be called that. For the most part he is. And those who abbreviate call him Nathan. I LOVE the name Nathaniel.