Sunday, January 29, 2006

A Weekend of Nothing Much

Well we are definitely not in Florida anymore. It snowed a bit over the weekend and has been a little bit colder and more winter-like. My parents are on the tail end of their trip to Hawaii and I wish I were with them, if just for a little bit more sun and warmth.

I didn’t do much this weekend and yet a got quite a bit accomplished. I managed to finish my homework from last week and for tomorrow and submit it all by email so that’s done. Feels good. I also got all our receipts and tax info together. Bob is meeting with the tax guy tomorrow and not only did he want all this year’s info, he requested Bob bring last year’s tax info as well as the year before. Bob met this guy at the station. He’s also in a wheelchair and is only charging us $60! Anyway, I managed to get all our receipts and tax info together and then I shredded all the old bills and tax paperwork we had been holding onto for way too long.

I made the best chili yet. I browned a pound of ground beef and a pound of ground turkey along with chopped onion and some garlic. I added that to a large can of tomato puree, a can of black beans, a can of red pinto beans, a can of rotel tomatoes with chilies, a couple of teaspoons of cumin, and a couple of teaspoons of medium chili powder and a bottle of beer. It was THE BEST. I served it over home made mashed potatoes and covered it all with cheese. So good.

I washed about a million dishes this weekend. Our dishwasher is horrible. It doesn’t matter what soap I use or if I use jet dry or not…our dishes all come out with a white filmy glaze on them, so I have to wash them all by hand. That kind of sucks. I also cleaned the cat boxes. Another job I’m not so fond of.

I got a call from my Grandma yesterday and it turns out she is moving to our town! She is coming from the town she has lived in or near since she married my Grandpa. This is HUGE! Apparently one of her cousins has an apartment in a senior living facility on the other side of the interstate from where we live and invited Grandma to live there too. She will have a two bedroom, two bathroom place and will be near family. They have activities and shuttles to local stores. She will be less than 3 miles from us! She is moving here in a little over a month and I can’t wait! I hope she likes it and isn’t too lonely for her old home town. It’s the town all 6 of her sons, my mom, me, and my brother were all born in and with her moving here, we kind of lose our connection to it. Well, other than my parents class reunions, I guess. There isn’t much there anymore. My mom has a sister there, but the town has been slowly dying and once they lost the meat packing plant to fire several years ago, there wasn’t much left of it to save.

We went to church today for the first time in forever. It was nice. So many people commented on how they thought we must have left the church, but really, it’s just because we can’t get there as often when the weather is so iffy and because of Bob’s weird sleep problems and pain. Anyway, it was so nice to see our old friends again and be part of the service. It was like coming home.

No comments: